I. STANDARD STATEMENT
When computers and other electronic devices are replaced or discarded, it is necessary to minimize the risks of
- exposing the data contained in memory to individuals who are
not authorized to view it and
- the software to those who are not licensed to use it.
This standard supports HOP Policy 8-12 Information Resources Use and Security Policy
This standard applies to all UTSA faculty, staff, and students.
The Office of Information Security
- Computer equipment to be destroyed must be transferred to the Surplus Property department in UTSA Financial Affairs Office where procedures are in place to ensure proper handling.
- The devices which are physically destroyed to ensure data security include computer hard drives, mobile/cellular phones, RAM device memory, device hard drives, Personal Digital Assistants (PDA’s) and digital storage media.
- For information about the disposal program:
OIS 12 – Standard for Disposal of Computing Devices
Effective Date: January 1, 2014
Last Revised: August 5, 2020